The following is a write up in the Delta Atlas, June 29, 1894 edition, of the dedication of the newly constructed Masonic Temple for Delta, from the fires of 1892.
Delta Atlas - June 29 1894
Masonic Temple Dedicated
DEEP DARK CLOUDS EXCLUDE THE MORNING SUN, BUT WEAR AWAY INTO A DAY OF BEAUTY.
The Air Vibrates with the Music of Silver Throated Horns, and with the Waving Plumes of Gallant Knights.
Yesterday morning’s sky was veiled In dark and lowering clouds, from which fell drenching sheets of rain, but the clouds gave way and the afternoon was that of a perfect day. By 9 o'clock the people begun to assemble and the Wauseon band, 15 pieces, arrived on the morning train and helped dispel the clouds. Liberty Center and Lyons lodges arrived before noon, and at noon a procession marched to the station to meet Swanton lodge and Toledo Commandery No. 7, F.R. Williams, Eminent Commander. The Commandery was escorted by the Light Guard Band of Fremont, 32 pieces, with Fred Fabing, manager, and John Speicher, musical director. This band Is one of the very best bands In the state and was enthusiastically encored by the hundreds of admiring listeners.
During the afternoon the Fremont band serenaded Dr. J.A. Wilkins, M. Longnecker, C.R.P. Waltz, and A.L. Sargent. The Doctor acting as escort and made the time very pleasant for the boys.
At 9 o’clock in the morning the temple was thrown open and from that hour until 9 o'clock at night a continual stream of people poured In and out its doors.
At 1 o’clock the procession formed by Grand Marshal Briggs, the lines of march being on Wood, Delta, Front and Adrian streets to Main St in the following order: Fremont Band Sir Knights, uniformed; Wauseon Band, Wauseon, Lyons, Swanton, Liberty Center and Delta Lodges.
The beautiful and impressive dedication ceremonies were performed by the following members of the Grand Lodge: Grand Master, Allen Andrews, of Hamilton, O., A.L. Sargent Jno. Shoffner, P.D. Seager, G.F. Planson, and Rev. D. Carter of Delta: G.D. Newcomer, J.A. Reed, Isaac Springer, C.J. Nachtrieband G.D. Green of Wauseon: L.D. Bojter, of Swanton, Burit and Swan of Waterville, and Frank Hatton of Columbus.
The dedication services were rendered more interesting by the singing of Mrs. Ainsworth, of Toledo,a lady standing at the head of that city's best singers.
Of all the visitors and members of the order who availed themselves of looking through the manyrooms of the Temple, everyone was eloquent in its praise.
Taken all in all the exercise the exercise of the day was one unbroken success.
The ladies of the W.R.C. furnished refreshment — a real banquet to all who were hungry, at a very moderate price. K. of P., G.A.R. and I.O.O.F. Halls were thrown open and tendered to the uses of the visiting Masons, for which these orders will receive the people's thanks.
Fulton Lodge No. 248 F. & A.M. was granted a dispensation by Lucius Binns, Grand Master of the State of Ohio, Feb. 15, 1854. The charter members were Daniel Knowles, Octavius Waters, Robt. Bloomfield, D.W. Fashbaugh, M.H. Butler, Avery Lamb, Thos. Gleason, Elisha Williams. J.N. Marsh, Jno. Leonard, A. Huntington, Myron Williams, Isaac Springer, W.D. Herrick, Chester Scott, A.H. Jourdon and Joshua Young.
Of the seventeen charter members, three are yet living and were present at the dedication of the new Temple yesterday — Isaac Bloomfield, of Toledo, Isaac Springer, of Wauseon, and D.W. Fashbaugh, of Delta.
A charter was granted the Lodge Oct. 18, 1854. For some time after the organization of the Lodge, its communications were held in the parlor of the residence of Octavius Waters in the building recently occupied by John Thompson as a grocery store, and stood on the site of the new Trowbridge block now being built. Fulton is the oldest Lodge in the county and since its organization two hundred and eighty-eight names have been enrolled in its membership. Eighty-five of this number have joined the silent majority.
In 1864, thirty-five members were demitted to become members of Wauseon Lodge No. 349. On the organization of Royalton Union Lodge No. 434 at Lyons five more members were taken from Fulton and at the organization of Swanton Lodge No. 555, twenty more members went from Fulton. Some have removed their membership to other Lodges and today the roll numbers 94 full members, and 6 honorary members.
In 1860 the lodge erected a two story frame Hall, on the site of the present Temple. The size of the old hall was 60x24, and about 1883 an addition was built to it, the second story of which was arranged as kitchen and banquet rooms and furnished with all the necessary utensils and tables to sit 80 persons.
On the 18th of August, 1892, this hall went down in the great Delta fire.
On the 3rd of May, 1893, the contract for the erection of the new Temple was let, to Mr. A.L. Guthrie of Delta and the keys of the completed work were turned over to the trustees of the Lodge June 6, 1894.
The Temple is built of brick, in the modern style of architecture and is in size 40x80 feet and three stories high. The first floor has been let to Bartholomew & Benfer, furniture dealers for a term of ten years at an annual rental of $350. The second floor is designed and planned for reception rooms, parlors, kitchen, and banquet rooms, while the third floor is designed and admirably arranged for all lodge purposes.
The cost of the new Temple was $7,500.00.